Alabama Family Law Appellate Attorneys

An appeal in an Alabama family law case or an Alabama divorce is a legal proceeding where Alabama family law attorneys and Birmingham Divorce lawyers represent a party wishing to have a decision reviewed by a higher court. The family law matter must usually be decided and a final order issued before it can be appealed. In Alabama, most family court cases are initially heard by the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals.

What kind of family court and divorce decisions can you appeal?

Although you have a right to appeal any decision, an appeal will not be successful simply because you do not like the outcome. You must have a legal reason, such as your belief that a mistake was made during the first procedure or that the judge did not apply the law fairly. In order to raise an issue on appeal, that issue must have also been objected to during the trial. By objecting to something, it lets the judge know that you disagreed with something and your disagreement then becomes part of the court records. Some family court decisions you can appeal include:

  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Divorce proceedings, including division of assets and spousal support

If you believe there was a mistake or the judge did not apply the law fairly during your family law or divorce proceedings, please call a Birmingham Divorce appellate lawyer at (205) 980-1445 as soon as possible. A notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days from decisions of the Domestic Relations Court and within fourteen (14) days of final Orders from the Family Court. If you miss that deadline, you can lose your opportunity to appeal.

 Possible outcomes of an Alabama Appeal in a Family Law Case

Your appeal can have four potential results:

  1. Reversal. This means the court decides the initial decision in your case was wrong and the decision is vacated.
  2. Remand. The Appellate Division sends your case back to the domestic relations judge or family court judge to be heard again.
  3. Affirm. The first decision of the family court is held to be correct and your decision stays the same.
  4. Modification. The Appeals Court can change a part of the initial decision.

You should also know that filing an appeal does not put a hold on a family court order. If you want to attempt to stay an Order of a trial judge, please call Harwell Law Firm and we can file a Motion to Stay an Order which has the legal effect of delaying a court order for a period of time.

Contact our Alabama family law attorneys today

Alabama law limits the time ysou have to file an appeal. It is important to call the Alabama Appellate attorneys at Harwell Law Firm LLC at (205) 980-1445 so we can assist you with your divorce or family law appeal.