Michelle - Cana



On some occasions, two married persons may not want to get divorced but would like to become legally separated. If you have any questions about the legal separation process in Alabama, please call Harwell Law Firm LLC at (205) 980-1445 or online by completing our Contact Us intake form.

Alabama domestic relations law and Alabama family law allows for a husband or a wife to file for a legal separation rather than a divorce.  If a party files a complaint for a decree of legal separation rather than a decree of dissolution of marriage, the Alabama Domestic Relations court may grant thelegal separation. The terms of a legal separation can be modified or dissolved only by written consent of both parties and ratification by the court or by court order upon proof of a material change of circumstances. A proceeding or judgment for legal separation shall not bar either party from later instituting an action for dissolution of the marriage.

Offices in Birmingham, Chelsea, Hoover and Homewood