About UsContact UsAreas of PracticeBlog

"Through presumption comes nothing but strife,
But with those who receive counsel is wisdom.”

- Proverbs 13.10




Family Law

  • Divorce
  • Adoptions
  • Uncontested Divorces
  • Alimony / Spousal Support
  • Back Child Support
  • Enforcement
  • Joint Custody
  • Alimony in Gross
  • Petition to Modify
  • Modify Custody
  • Debt Division
  • Modifications
  • Child Custody
  • Petition for Rule Nisi / Contempt
  • Child Support
  • Child Visitation
  • Dependency Petitions
  • Property Settlements
  • Grandpartent's Rights
  • Modify Child Support
  • Modify Alimony
  • Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO)
  • In a perfect world, spouses would marry and stay married forever. Unfortunately, over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Before contacting an attorney, I would encourage anybody considering divorce to participate in marital counseling. However, if your spouse wants a divorce or you have decided that divorce is how you wish to proceed, my firm will be able to assist you.

    The simplest, quickest and least expensive way to dissolve your marriage is through an uncontested divorce. If you and your spouse can reach an agreement on property, debts, support, custody, etc., I can draft a settlement agreement for the two of you to sign and prepare all of the necessary child support forms to be submitted to the Court. If you hire me to prepare the papers, I am actually your attorney and will be able to advise you accordingly and draft the agreement in your best interests. Likewise, if your spouse has hired an attorney to prepare divorce papers, THE LAWYER IS YOUR SPOUSE’S LAWYER! The lawyer, because of ethical rules, should not advise you about your rights and you should always seek the advice of your own attorney prior to signing any divorce papers.

    If you and your spouse are unable to reach an agreement, the divorce is considered contested and can be quite expensive depending on the issues involved. A Complaint for Divorce is filed and we then proceed through the discovery process where both parties produce documents, answer questions under oath and depositions of the parties and witnesses can be taken as well. Even in contested divorces, most cases end up settling. However, if you and your spouse are unable to agree, your case is heard by a judge who will the decide the issues of your divorce.

    Issues also arise after a divorce in the nature of changing custody, increasing or decreasing your child support, modifying visitation rights, reducing, raising or eliminating alimony, and violations of the Divorce Decree. If you are in need to Modify your Divorce Decree, your ex-spouse has filed for a modification, you need to file a Petition for Contempt because your spouse is not complying with the Order or your ex-spouse has filed a Petition for Rule Nisi alleging that you are in contempt for violating a Court Order, my firm is able to assist you.

    If you have had a child with another person who is not your spouse, paternity of the child should be legally established as well as custody, child support and visitation rights. Also, if you know of a child (usually a grandchild, niece or nephew) whose parents are unable or unwilling to care for the needs of the child, you may file a Dependency Petition with the juvenile court and ask the court to award custody of the child to you. Another aspect of family law the adoption of a child. My firm can handle these issues as well as almost every other matter pertaining to family law. Please call the office to schedule a consultation.

    Harwell - a Alabama law firm

    "Providing affordable Legal Counsel from a Christian perspective for most of your legal needs."


    ©2010 Harwell Law Firm LLC & All rights reserved.